Already dreaming of those warm summer days on the porch sipping a nice cold glass of lemonade? Why not make it even better with some blueberry lemonade kombucha? The blueberries’ sweet taste compliments the tartness of the lemonade and will be sure to impress your guests at a house party or your next BBQ!
This recipe will make 1 liter of kombucha to be fermented in a 1 liter swing top bottle or air tight amber growler. Recipe can be scaled to proportion if you are planning to make more bottles. Your raw kombucha should be left with a small amount of sweetness to allow for the culture to continue eating and therefore creating carbonation. If you want to learn more about building up more carbonation in your brew, read out blog post: Kombucha Carbonation: How Does It Work
- 1 Liter swing top bottle or amber growler
- Cutting board and knife
- 30-40 bluberries (handful)
- 3 tsps of lemon juice
- 800ml raw green tea kombucha – see How to Brew Kombucha: First Fermentation
- 200ml of cold water
- 4 sprigs of rosemary (garnish)
- Add half the blueberries, lemon juice, and water to blender. Blend thoroughly until pureed.
- Pour puree through your strainer and funnel into the fermentation bottle.
- Pour raw green tea kombucha into fermentation bottle leaving an inch of space from the top of the cap. This will help to control the carbonation from leaking over when opening.
- Close your bottle ensuring it is air tight.
- Leave the bottle in a warm dry place for 4 – 6 days at room temperature and then refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- Pour in glass and add 3-4 fresh blueberries, one small slice of lemon, and sprig of rosemary to glass as garnish.
- To avoid the carbonation from spilling over, we suggest slowly burping the bottle at day two to let a small amount out. Refrigerating until cold before opening also helps to control it from spilling over.
- If your raw kombucha did not have any sugar left in it before the second fermentation, carbonation will not be made. To counter this, dissolve organic sugar or honey into the water and add it to the recipe above.