Spiced apple kombucha is a great addition to any kombucha lover’s recipe book. With its hit of spice from the ginger, fragrant smell from the cinnamon, and the crisp flavour from the apples, it’s become a favourite of ours and soon will become one of yours!
This recipe will make 1 liter of kombucha to be fermented in a 1 liter swing top bottle or air tight amber growler. Recipe can be scaled to proportion if you are planning to make more bottles. Your raw kombucha should be left with a small amount of sweetness to allow for the culture to continue eating and therefore creating carbonation. If you want to learn more about building up more carbonation in your brew, read out blog post: Kombucha Carbonation: How Does It Work
1 Liter swing top bottle or amber growler
Cutting board and knife
- 4 to 5 inch piece of ginger (based on your preference of spiciness)
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Half an apple (Gala or Granny Smith – if you like a little more tartness)
- 800ml raw green tea kombucha – see How to Brew Kombucha: First Fermentation
- 2 cloves
- 200ml of cold water
- Peel your ginger and apple so that there is no skin remaining.
- Chop in to 3 or 4 pieces and place in to blender.
- Fill blender with 200ml of cold filtered water and blend thoroughly.
- Pour the ginger and apple puree through your strainer and funnel in to your fermentation bottle.
- Pour your raw green tea kombucha in to your fermentation bottle leaving an inch of space from the top of the lid. This will help to control the carbonation from leaking over when opening.
- Place the cloves and cinnamon into bottle. Close your bottle ensuring it is air tight.
- Leave the bottle in a warm dry place for 4 – 6 days at room temperature and then refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- Serve and enjoy!
To avoid the carbonation from spilling over, we suggest slowly burping the bottle at day two to let a small amount out. Refrigerating until cold before opening also helps to control it from spilling over.
If your raw kombucha did not have any sugar left in it before the second fermentation, carbonation will not be made. To counter this, dissolve organic sugar or honey into the water and add it to the recipe above.